Sunday, June 30, 2013

Kidiversary

The Kid shortly after I first met her
One year ago today, I (kinda) nervously boarded a bus over to an area of Brooklyn I wasn't super familiar with to meet with a family who needed a summer nanny. I knew nothing about the place I was going besides the address and that it was a second floor apartment, and I knew practically nothing about the family I was going to see besides the fact that they had a two-year-old and her mom was a nurse. Now, if you know me at all, you know that this is just the kind of situation that would make me super nervous. But I wasn't. There was a slight case of butterflies in the tummy, but I mostly felt incredibly calm. The commute was long(ish), but easy. And the family? Well, they were just right. From the moment I stepped into their home I felt comfortable and at ease. I spent two hours there that day getting to know The Kid and her family. Less than an hour in, she was crawling into my lap and trying to feed me strawberries from her fruit salad.


The Kid at the end of my first summer with her
I have always gravitated toward children, and they usually gravitate towards me. If there's a baby in the room, I want to be holding him/her. Just last month, I met one of my boyfriend's friends and his family/neighbors on Memorial Day. There was a shy, little two-year-old girl who didn't really go to anyone she didn't like and avoided men. By the end of the afternoon she was happily snuggled in my arms as I sat right next to my boyfriend (a strange young man *gasp*). However, most people who work with children will tell you that you don't warm to all children the same way. You may love all children and be great with them, but there are just some children who find an extra special place in your heart. The Kid is definitely one of those special children. She was even before they offered me a long term position.

Today is my Kidiversary--one special year with one special Kid. I am so looking forward to the upcoming year. It's gonna be great.


The Kid Today (picture stolen from her mother as today is my day off, and they are out having happy family adventures. Go them! :D)

Sincerely,
 

No comments:

Post a Comment