Wednesday, June 12, 2013

The Sweetest Sound in All the World

I sound like a broken record. Everyday, it's the same phrases.
"Don't do that. You're going to hurt yourself."
"Stop screaming. That behavior is unacceptable"
"No."
"Come here. I'm not going to chase you."
"What do you need to say?"
"How do you ask?. . . Please, what?"
"What do you say?"
Those last two are the worst. Even on a good day, when I don't need to reprimand, calm, or correct, I still repeat those two. Over. And. Over.

Because manners matter. Because gratitude is important.

And just when I'm tired of saying it, when I feel like it will never stick, she says it. Without prompting, without coaching, without begging, she says it. In her tiny, (sometimes) soft voice, she says it.
"Please, may I have a snack, please, Jojo?"
"Nank you for this, Jojo."
Yes, you may, my precious girl. You are very, very welcome. I'd do it all again just for those sweet, sweet words--the sweetest sound in all the world.


Sincerely,
 

No comments:

Post a Comment